The Collaborative Classroom
Teaching Students How to Work Together Now and for the Rest of Their Lives
"If you want to see positive climate and culture in the classroom, this book is a great place to start.”
—Gerry Brooks, elementary principal, Youtube star, and author of Go See the Principal
"The Collaborative Classroom is a practical guide for teaching all students—whether in a K–12, college, or beauty school-—to combine their gifts and successfully collaborate."
—Winn Claybaugh, founder and dean of Paul Mitchell Schools
"This is a must-read for any teacher or administrator."
--Kim Austin, principal of Kate Waller Barrett Elementary School
"Trevor Muir has crafted a practical guide that helps teachers tackle one of the biggest challenges they face: how to cultivate meaningful collaboration. As a master storyteller, he shares powerful examples of what happens when teachers take collaboration to the next level with their students."
--John Spencer, professor and coauthor of Launch and Empower
Collaboration drives progress in every area of life and industry. From business to politics, collaboration is an in-demand skill that today's students need--so why does the modern education system focus almost exclusively on individual tasks and assessments that leave students unprepared for the collaborative world?
Maybe it's because of how difficult group work has been to plan, manage, and assess.
In The Collaborative Classroom, Trevor Muir brings to light the dynamic possibilities that occur when students learn to work together. Muir shares how to teach students to do it effectively so that teachers can actually love group work. He shares the tools, techniques, processes, and inspiration developed from his own classroom and from the insights and experience gained from master educators and industry leaders.
This book is for you if you want to . . .
- Effectively manage collaborative work time
- Design the optimal groups
- Help students give and receive constructive criticism
- Facilitate student-led collaborative class discussions
- Empower all students, introverts and extroverts from any grade and any subject area, to purposefully and meaningfully collaborate
The Collaborative Classroom Toolkit
Free tools and resources that are featured in The Collaborative Classroom
- Collaboration Rubric
- Skills Assessment
- Peer Assessment
- Pre-Collaboration Self-Assessment
- Missing Tape Instructions
- Discussion Ground Rules Poster
- Collaborative Classroom Discussion Rubric
- Project Overview Template
- Project Management Log Template
- Cost for Collaboration Table
- Joint Write-Ups Template: